DIRECTOR, PUBLIC RELATIONS - Corporate & Consumer FOcused
Please send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to Christy Welder, firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject “Director, Public Relations – Corporate/Consumer”. No phone calls please.
New York, NY
The Director position is creative, tactical and strategic and provides comprehensive support to their specific client roster & team as well as synergy with the counterparts on other accounts. The role includes providing support to the CEO on high caliber clients providing media strategy and coverage. Must be particularly well-organized, detailed-oriented, flexible and able to deliver excellent work within tight deadlines. Must be able to work independently and within a team, and know how to provide clear and concise updates to the rest of the team. Must respond expeditiously to diverse assignments, take responsibility for projects from beginning to end, and consistently operate with a sense of urgency without losing sight of the details.
The ability to interact with staff, clientele, and all external contacts—in a fast-paced environment, sometimes under pressure, while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient —is crucial to this role.
It is also required that candidates hold a keen interest in the business, corporate and consumer industry in which this position centrally operates.
- Minimum 6- 10 years’ public relations experience
- At least 4 years’ current corporate and consumer experience
- At least 2 years’ client management experience
- Agency experience required
- 4-year college degree
- Strong relationships with long-lead, short-lead, and digital national and regional editors across corporate, business and consumer focused outlets
- Ability to pitch and coordinate national and regional broadcast segments and in-studio appearances with a focus on business
- Excellent short-lead national and regional editor contacts (weekly magazines, newspapers, online outlets, blogs)
- Refined understanding of Social Media platforms and ability to identify opportunities to increase brand awareness and generate press within this landscape
- Dual roles across the Public Relations division and Consulting division
Skills & Qualities
- Assign, supervise, and manage clients across the PR and Consulting teams
- Conceptualize and execute strategic communication plans across clients
- Able to lead, encourage, mentor, and develop junior staff members
- Effective organizational and project management skills
- Proven ability to work well under pressure with tight deadlines
- Plan and lead brainstorms with staff
- Excellent verbal, written, presentation, organizational and follow-up skills a must
- Ability to write interesting, creative, and effective press releases, media alerts, press pitches and materials
- Possess knowledge of the corporate business media industry as well as popular culture
- Able to work in a team environment- someone who is an enthusiastic team player and has the ability to get along with others
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with clients and media representatives and maximize these relationships to develop new business opportunities
- Effective client communication
- Create and implement proactive and targeted press campaigns
- Participate in meetings with potential new business clients and create proposals for these opportunities